Thursday, January 28, 2010

RIP Iwate Swan!

I received the sad news that one of my colleagues on the JET programme, Rodger Swan, took ill suddenly and died. He was just 23 years old.

I didn't know him very well. In August, I went down to Tokyo to work at the programme's orientation. I met the new Iwate (our prefecture) JETs and give them information about their placements and the prefecture.

Later back in the prefecture, we got seperated. Iwate is the second biggest prefecture in Japan. It takes 4 hours to drive from where I am to some parts of the South. From my town to Rodgers is about 2 hours by train.

Even though I didn't know him well, I am deeply saddened by his passing. I wish to extend my condolences to his parents, his girlfriend and his friends. May Good be with you in your time of need.

Rodger also had a huge web presence. He made a vlog of his time here, first as Tokyo Swan, then as Iwate Swan. As a tribute, I'll be featuring the Iwate Swan series. It will be a part of my usual Far out Fridays.

Requiascat in pacem, Rodger.

No comments: