Monday, February 15, 2010

Quitting: Not Just for Losers! (MoMM)


There's a language course run by the administrators of my program. It's generally recognised as a pain in the butt by the least averse to it. The most averse think its the worst way to learn Japanese in the history of - well, learning Japanese.

5 days a week for six months, you have to study a lesson. Each lesson contains a listening practice, a dialogue, 2 grammar points, new vocabulary and 2 exercises. It's not bad once in a while. But every day for six months...

Each book has a deadline date. If you have 5 of the 6 tests in by deadline, and you pass them with 70% then you pass the course. Or you can send in all 6 tests before the deadline for Book 6 and still pass.

Today was the deadline for Book 3. Judging by the title of this post , you can guess where the Book 3 test is.

I would love to be able to say that is the first time I quit something, but it isn't.

But I don't feel bad about it. Cuz I usually have a lot on plate anyhow. Outside of the course, I study Japanese on my own. And I try to write every day. And (theoretically) I work out an hour or so, 3 days a week. I spend an hour a day researching MFA programs. I try to watch something in Japanese every day. And in the midst of all that, I have to find time to work, eat and sleep (in order of priority).

All that preamble to say this. There are times when quitting is the best thing to do.

If it's something that's preventing you from doing something more important: QUIT!

If it's going to be detrimental in the long run: QUIT!

If it's completely pointless, AND difficult to do: QUIT!

If it's taking more time than it's ultimately worth: QUIT!

Sometimes ya just gotta quit to get ahead!

It's Monday, and that's what's on My Mind!

2 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

I whole heartedly agree with all of this!!! Mainly because I have a feeling there is just no way I would ever be able to learn Japanese.ha But you are right, if you have too much on your plate then you need to prioritize and keep going only with those tasks that are the most important. Otherwise, everything begins to suffer!

Neil Alvin said...

*insert hug here*