Thursday, February 25, 2010

The World

"To the world, you may be just another girl,
But to me, Baby you are the world!"

- The World (Brad Paisley)

I was talking to my ex yesterday. Only he's just barely my ex. We "dated" back in school days when dating equaled holding hands and smiling and kissing. Oodles and oodles of kissing! :D

I was like 14 at the time.

Obviously I don't count him as the great love of my life or anything. But yesterday, while we were talking he said something to me that made it clear just how important I am to him. I can't remember it word for word, but the conversation went something like this.

Me: Why are you telling me these things?
Ex: I just feel close to you.
Me: But we hardly talk and I live on the other side of the world.
Ex: I know. It's hard to explain. I like you so much that I'd be your friend forever, but I love you so much I'd be your lover.

It was weirdly sweet.

Even more so because it had never occurred to me that I might mean something to him. It was so long ago. I thought I was just a girl he held hands with. And smiled at. And kissed. Lots and lots.

This isn't the first time this has happened. On both the romantic and platonic fronts, I've had people say to me, "I know we don't spend a lot of time together, but I [insert incredibly amazing thing] you."

It's something to hold onto in those days when all is not quite right with the world. The days when you feel like you might disappear from the planet and noone would notice. Or worse yet, the days that you feel like the most major thing your death would cause is an argument about who should pay for the funeral.

It's cliche. But as I always say, cliches exist for a reason. Cause they're mostly true.

To someone, somewhere, you mean more than you know. Sometimes they tell you. Sometimes you will never know.

To someone, you are the world.


Somewhere out there from American Tail (movie version)

No comments: