Friday, February 12, 2010

Yuki Matsuri (FoF)

I am writing today from Sapporo, the site of the World's Best Snow Festival! Sapporo is the capital of Hokkaido, which is the northernmost of Japan's 4 main islands. The snow festival is in its 61st year and is held every year in the week ending February 11 (National Foundation Day).

I'm just going to let the pictures do the talking today.



Here I am with the Tower and Marimo, the mascot of Hokkaido.



The smoking area was an ice sculpture!



Most of the stages were ice or snow sculptures.



People were snowboarding on a slope made on scaffolding!


JAL's "Northern Zooland"



"Where Dreams Come True"




"Michael Forever"


Korean Royal Palace



Ponyo



Thomas, the tank engine


Chibi Maruko



NZ's entry for the International Competition "Taniwha"



Hong Kong's entry was the God of Art and Literature, but I don't know why the guy on all fours has something sticking in his butt...



As far as Japan is concerned, Hawaii is a country!



Thailand won!



I love Stitch!



Doraemon



Anpanman



"Imagine"
This was my favourite sculpture. As a writer, I love the concept!

Once in a while, Japan is the coolest place on Earth! Today has been a Far out Friday!

4 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

That last one is my favorite too, it could be the cover for my current wip!

But they are all so good! How incredible to be able to see that! Have a great weekend.

Claire Dawn said...

Thanks! It was truly something to behold.

When you're done the WIP, if you need a critiquer, I'm available.

Jon Paul said...

Man that brings back memories! I lived in Japan for four years in the late nineties and I remember making the trek up to Sapporo for this festival. It was one of the highlights of my stay; I wish I had pics of it now.

The Sapporo Beer Garden was also a great time.

Thanks for sharing this. BTW, I also posted a note over on the Book Book about the MFA Handbook. I'm including it in my weekly Link Love post this Friday.

So keep up the good work!

Claire Dawn said...

Really, Jon Paul? Man, you're so one of my new favourite people! Moseying off to discover your blog!

If you were in Sapporo so often, and you're military, can I guess you were at Misawa?

And thanks for the love on the link!