Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Announcing SocNoc!!!

Hey hey!

Yesterday, I mentioned that I came to the world of "serious writing" through nanowrimo. You've probably heard of nano. It's taken the writer community quite by storm and there are those of who swear by it. (Of course there are others who'd love it rot in hell. lol)

But maybe, probably you've never heard of SocNoc. SocNoc is the SOuthern Cross NOvel Challenge. The Souther Cross is a constellation only visible in the Southern Hemisphere, and it's on the flags of both Australia and New Zealand. As implied by the name the challenge is headquartered in New Zealand.

SocNoc has the same basic rule as nano- 1 month, 50,000 words - but it differs in lots of ways.

1. It's in June. If you're in college, or you're a teacher, instead of prepping for exams like you are in November, you'll be wrapping them up or all done.

2. It doesn't restrict your project. For nano, you're supposed to start a project on November 1, and complete 50,000 words towards that project. Socnoc doesn't care what you write towards- it could be an MS you started in January, but didn't get back to. It could be a collection of short stories. Or words towards several novels.

And if you think 50,000 words in 30 days is unreasonable, or impossible, or pointless, let me introduce you to HalfNoc. It's the same rules, but half the word count. 25,000 words in 30 days. That's about 850 words per day. Totally doable.

My name is Claire Dawn on there as well, but I'm not sure if you can friend ppl like you can on nano. I hope you'll join me.

(Right now I'm signed up for both SocNoc and HalfNoc, because I have the decisive abilities of a pendulum.)

5 comments:

Shallee said...

How cool! Thanks for sharing this. I'm gearing up for a private NaNo next month, but maybe I'll join this! Hopefully they don't care if you're not in the southern hemisphere. :)

Paul Greci said...

Good luck, Claire!! I hope you have a productive writing month.

Marsha Sigman said...

Good luck! I know you'll do it!

Claire Dawn said...

Heya Shallee, I'm not in the Southern hemisphere either. Anyone can sign up anywhere.

Sidrah said...

Sounds good! All the best =]