Wednesday, August 17, 2011

More News

Days after the March 2011 earthquake, some of the leaders of the English-speaking writing community in Japan decided to compile a non-fiction anthology. It's not just a collection of stories, but of our stories, and Japan's stories.

After months of being available only as a PDF, WRITE FOR TOHOKU is now available as a Kindle e-book. Unfortunately, there's no print book at this time.

The proceeds from this e-book go towards the re-building effort here in Tohoku, so even if you don't have a Kindle, consider getting the PDF or downloading Kindle for PC. Every little bit counts.

After going out to the coast and seeing firsthand- a boat on top of the Post Office, a house intact but upside down, car dealerships where all the cars had disappeared and there's just a 40 foot sign making the lot- I knew I had to do something. I would like to go across to the coast and help out more, but it's difficult to get there without a car. And really, the bigger issue for me is that it's depressing. You can only look at scenes like that for so long. It's different when you do that and then you go home. But this IS home. I knew people who were killed. I know a girl who spent her weekend covering up bodies. I could just as easily have been living there instead of here. I want to get back there some time, and do more to help out. But I know it will take a while.

So when I heard about this anthology, I just knew I had to write for it. It's hard being a write in a country where you're barely functionally literate. I feel so useless, and I always feel like I can't use my talents to give back to this land that has given me so much. Finally, here was an opportunity to do something to help.

I'm proud to say I have a short non-fiction story in this e-book. Also if you buy it, look out for stories by some of my writer-friends: Suzanne Kamata, Leza Lowitz, and the stories before and after mine, by Holly Thompson and Brianna Harris. Also spread the word about this e-book, especially to friends who have an interest in Japan. Every little bit counts.

Thanks a lot guys.

3 comments:

Marsha Sigman said...

That is wonderful, Claire. I'll do my small part!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I have a Kindle app on my iPad!

Lord Mark said...

Are you tired of being human, having talented brain turning to a vampire in a good posture in ten minutes, Do you want to have power and influence over others, To be charming and desirable, To have wealth, health, without delaying in a good human posture and becoming an immortal? If yes, these your chance. It's a world of vampire where life get easier,We have made so many persons vampires and have turned them rich, You will assured long life and prosperity, You shall be made to be very sensitive to mental alertness, Stronger and also very fast, You will not be restricted to walking at night only even at the very middle of broad day light you will be made to walk, This is an opportunity to have the human vampire virus to perform in a good posture. If you are interested contact us on Vampirelord7878@gmail.com