Thursday, March 15, 2012

On Being Yourself

The interpubs (my newly coined term for the publishing industry internet) went crazy last week with Dr. Seuss' birthday. I don't remember it being quite so celebrated last year (maybe because I wasn't on Twitter) but I don't pass up excuses to celebrate the Seuss-ter.

One of my friends posted a Seuss quote from THE HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOOK.

Today, you are you
That is truer than true
There is no one alive
Who is you-er than you

As my Jamaican friends would say, " 'im neva lie."

It's easy to get caught up in a race. It's easy to make competition where there is none. To try so hard to be appreciated that you stop being yourself. To do all this for so long, that you forget who that is. But today, Dr. Seuss and I are here to remind you. You're unique and special.

There is no one alive who is you-er than you!

1 comment:

KatOwens: Insect Collector said...

A lovely thought. And you should know I am really enjoying the books I won in your contest. I've read fairy tale fail and am in don't stop now currently. LOVE them both! I've no doubt the rest of them will rock as well. Thanks!