Monday, February 10, 2014

Re-finding my Blog Voice (MomM)

Once upon a time, I was an avid blogger. I had a plan. There was a designation for every day of the week.

Monday on my Mind.
Tell it Tuesday and Time Travel Tuesday.
Write Away Wednesday.
Talk Back Thursday.
Far out Friday.

I was so into the blog scene that I even gave a lecture on the topic at the Japan Writers' Conference.

Oh, how the Mighty have fallen.

Back then, I didn't look for blog topics. I was tripping over them. I'd have 3 or 4 blogs pop into my head almost fully written every day.

Hold up a sec, let me repeat that slowly.

Every.

Single.

Day.

I couldn't very well post them all. So I wrote them down, just in case I had a drought. But I never did. Until now. Wish I could find that notebook...

Now that I'm not in the practice of belching up my soul every 24 hours, I can't really remember how to do it. I can't remember what you like. Or how I used to be able to tap into that. I hardly even get to read anymore, and I don't know the last time I did any novel-writing. The biggest thing that defined this blog isn't even really a part of my life right now.

I feel like the biggest disappointment. I mean, I know noone's crying into their Earl Grey over the state of Points of Claire-ification (except maybe me). I'm just that kind of person. I like to keep my word. And every time one of you comments or follows or even reads all the way to the end of the post, it's a vote of confidence. And in return for that small favour, I make a promise. It's woven into the words the second I click the "Publish" button.

I will not waste your precious time.
I will try to be relevant.
I will interact with you.
I will educate and share my world.
I will be fun and entertaining.

I will give you what you want.

It's been over a year since I've properly kept any of those unspoken promises. So, in apology, I offer you a new one.

I will re-find my blogging voice.

Here's hoping you're along for the ride.

5 comments:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Claire -- I'VE missed you! It's been a long time since I've seen Claire-ification pop up on my blog roll sidebar. Welcome back!

Claire Dawn said...

Thanks Dianne. Slowly, but surely. Very, very slowly, but surely.

J.B. Chicoine said...

Well, Claire, here's a vote of confidence--when Google abandoned their Reader and I had to find some way of keeping track of blogs I was still interested in reading (I picked from hundreds), I added yours to my list because I knew that when you were ready, you would come out of hiding and I wanted to know about it. Even if you don't post regularly (Heck, I don't even post regularly), it's still fun to read about what you've been up to.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Crash and burn can happen to anyone. If you can't think of a ton of things to blog about (and can't find that notebook) then just blog less. Blog when it hits you. Let your voice return naturally. Bet you'll sound just a little bit different.

Claire Dawn said...

Thank you J.B, thank you. That really is a vote of confidence. I appreciate it and I will try not to disappoint.

Alex, thanks. I'm figuring it out. Very, very slowly. lol.